1. Termites are a group of eusocial insects – according to wikipedia eusocial means insects with these characteristics; a) reproductive division of labor b) overlapping generations and c)operative care of young.
If you’re looking for further information; Here’s a site where you can for more information about termites and pest control – TPC.
And another about effective termite treatments by a local Gold Coast company.
2. Termites mostly feed on dead plant material, generally in the form of wood, leaf litter, soil, or animal dung, and about 10% of the estimated 4,000 known species can cause serious damage to the timber structure of homes.
3. At maturity, the queen termite has a massive capacity to lay eggs in the order of 20,000 to 30,000 eggs in a single day
4. Termites are known to eat each other’s feces – that’s right, the feed on their own shit; the scientific name for this is “trophallaxis”.
5. Termites can build mud tubes to gain access to above ground timber.
6. Termites don’t sleep. They are chewing up your home 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Unlike you, they don’t even take public holidays!
7. Termites produce hundreds of tonnes of toxic methane gas into the atmosphere each year. Thought your other half could stink up a storm. He ain’t got nothing on these little farters.